Starting a Business

Starting a Business
An image of Mill Creek SquareWe know opening, expanding, or relocating a business is challenging, with no shortage of details, questions, and uncertainty. Among these are the City permits you may need to open your doors. This page provides an overview of things to keep in mind as you plan for your new (or moved) business.

Business License
Every business operating in the City requires a business license. Please be aware that you will need a State of Washington business license and UBI number before you apply for your City license. Contact the Finance and Administration Department at 425-745-1891 with any business licensing questions.

Certain businesses are not permitted in all areas of the City. To learn whether your intended business location is zoned for your proposed business, or if you have any questions about home occupations, signs, or building permits, please contact the City of Mill Creek at 425-551-7254.
An image of an A Board sign
  • Home Occupation. If you are operating your business out of your home, you will need a home occupation permit in addition to your business license. Home occupations are only issued for indoor activities with limited or no customer visits. Review the Mill Creek Municipal Code regarding Home Occupations.

  • Signs. Mill Creek residents and businesses place a high value on the community's appearance. To maintain an attractive appearance, the City regulates signs to avoid visual clutter, ensure traffic and pedestrian safety, enhance property values, and prevent the accumulation of litter and debris. Learn about sign regulations.

  • Building Permits. A building permit is required for some building modifications that may necessary to accommodate your business, such as demolition of walls, new plumbing fixtures. Learn about building permits and codes.

Assistance in Beginning a Business
The State of Washington has created a guide to assist you in how to start a business. Other helpful information from the State can be found at the following websites:

Useful Resources
The following agencies offer valuable resources to assist you as you plan your business:

Design Review
A design renderingTo ensure visual quality is preserved throughout Mill Creek, all applications requiring building permits except detached single-family residences, landscape plans, site design, and all other matters as specified in Chapter 17.34 MCMC must be reviewed by the City’s Design Review Board. For more information on the design review process, please contact the City of Mill Creek at 425-551-7254.

Change of Use and Certificate of Occupancy
A Change of Use Application is required for all new businesses that represent a change in occupancy type for the space (such as a retail space changing to a restaurant, an office changing to retail, or a home changing to an office). The application is reviewed for compliance with all applicable codes including life safety requirements, zoning, and parking. A Certificate of Occupancy is required before opening a new, reconfigured, or repurposed space to the public and will be issued following receipt of your business license application and a site visit by the Building Division staff. Your Certificate of Occupancy lets your customers know that your business is in compliance with public health and safety requirements. Contact Development Serviced at 425-551-7254 with any questions on obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy.

Contact Us
For more information regarding available properties, Mill Creek demographics, and local economic incentives, please contact the City of Mill Creek at 425-551-7254.

Additional information can be found throughout the City’s website including permit applications and information sheets, the Mill Creek Municipal Code, design standards, and much more.